Friday, July 18, 2003

Baseball

I'm kind of at a loss to explain how I feel about the Seattle Mariners chances at getting to the World Series this year. I mean, on the one hand, they are a good team and could go the distance. On the other hand, I've been a Mariners fan as long as there has been a Mariners team, and for some reason I just can't fathom the Mariners actually going to the World Series, must less winning it. It was hard enough to deal with them going to the playoffs that first time. And, if there ever was a year they should have gone all the way, it was 2001.

So when people ask me how I feel about the M's chances, I generally find myself saying, "Um, well, yeah, they are a good team, aren't they?" and trying not to make any predictions. It's always more about how they are playing in September than how they are playing right now, and I've only seen one year in which the team peaked in September. Unfortunately, they peaked in September, then crashed a bit in October...

So, do I think the Seattle Mariners will make it to the World Series? Well, I just don't know. Ask me at the end of September. Do I want them to go all the way? Heck yeah! Seattle could use some good news right now. A baseball championship may not translate into an instant end to the recession, but it would sure lift some badly flagging spirits around here.

0 comments: