Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 16 July 2003 - Part V

Silken Ghost #3: This issue was missing the zap of the first two, and while the character interactions are good, it just didn't quite do it for me. There's good information about the nature of the characters, and a nice new character, but the tale is definitely faltering a little here in the center. 3 1/2 starfish

Arrowsmith #1: I love alternate universe fiction. I love the "what if?" stories that wonder about fantastical things, like "What if the South had had some help to win the Civil War" (Guns of the South) or "What if successful Mad Scientists existed in Old Europe?" (Girl Genius)... so a new series with an alternate history twist is bound to be of interest to me. Kurt Busiek had no problem convincing me to buy his book with the on-line free sample. The Preview in DC's Horizon mag only helped that. But now that I've got the actual book in hand, I'm not sure what to say about it! I liked the story itself. The start of a good strong coming-of-age tale. The artwork is simply wonderful. I love the hints and outright statements of how this world differs from ours, including the map in the back. And I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. 4 starfish

Next week's (er, tomorrow's) books: Usagi Yojimbo, Birds of Prey, JLA: Scary Monsters, Outsiders #2, and Crossovers #7.

0 comments: