Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Sketchbook - Jim Mahfood

By the time I got through San Diego 2000, I realized that I was focusing a little too much on just getting Aquaman sketches. That last sketch, by Neal Adams, seemed to cap a pretty good all-around experience of getting Aquaman sketches, but I decided that I wasn't going to "push" artists into just doing Aquaman in my next sketchbook. I developed a plan by which I would say, "Aquaman if you could, someone else of your choice if you can't." It worked well. Ten of the seventeen sketches in my second sketchbook are Aquaman, one of the remaining seven is Boris the Bear as Aquaman, and three more are Aqua-related: including a mermaid, an Aqua-monkey by Pia Guerra, and this sketch:


AQUAMAN FAN
by Jim Mahfood
9 Feb 2003
(permission to post given 14 July 2003 via e-mail)
www.40ozcomics.com

This sketch was drawn at the First Annual Emerald City Comicon on February 9th, 2003. As of this writing, it is the last sketch in my sketchbook. It's on page seventeen of my second sketchbook, right after a sketch of Iron Man by Sean Chen. I'm not certain if this guy is meant to be Aquaman himself just wearing an Aquaman t-shirt, or if it's an Aquaman fan. In any case, it's a nifty Mahfood drawing, and I quite like it.

To see all the sketches I have permission to post so far, check out my Sketchbook Page. If you have any contact information for any of the other artists I'm trying to contact, please e-mail me.

0 comments: