Sunday, March 21, 2004

Reading Free Comics On-line

Aunty Sez: "Hey, I just looked at the web issues of "The Interman" and "Whiteout". Both good! I think I could enjoy them. Now, please tell me, Laura, besides the story line, what you like about them? You are right about the art in "Whiteout". It feels cold. Anything else?

And I responded, in the same comments section: "Whiteout I loved because the characters were all very human. Rucka managed to make them human, warts and all, and yet still likeable. Add in Lieber's fantastic artwork which pulls the story along as well as keeping all the characters distinguishable (no mean feat in a comic book sometimes) and you've got one really nice book. Oh yeah, and it had a strong plot too -- I do tend to like mysteries."

"The Interman is a mix of wonderful artwork (those underwater scenes had me wishing Parker would do Aquaman) and a very strong story. Like Whiteout, there's a mystery to be solved, and the reader gets to hang along for the ride."

I haven't really been able to think of more to add since last night. There are adult situations in Whiteout, but it's not like some books that fit the "Sit-coms and TV ads" attitude toward mature situations. If I would compare it to a TV show, I would compare it to the later years of M.A.S.H. And The Interman I would almost call an all-ages book. I don't have my copy to check, but I can't remember anything in it that I wouldn't let a kid see.

Now, I was thinking about free comic book samples on-line, since that's where Aunty went first. I mentioned the samples of The Interman and Whiteout, and I also pointed out Girl Genius, which I've been pushing since I read the first issue - which you can read for free too. CrossGen's Comics on the Web still seems to exist, with 22 free samples. I know DC has put up a few free samples in PDF format... what other comics are out there as free samples? And I'm talking entirely about samples put up by the publishers/creators, not any pirate junk.

0 comments: