Saturday, March 20, 2004

Sketchbook - Todd Nauck

How I got this sketch is detailed in my San Diego 2000 Con Report. Todd Nauck is one of the nicest artists I've ever met, and that's saying something because I've met an awful lot of artists now. This is also one of the very, very few sketches in my collection that I didn't actually ask for. Todd drew this without asking after looking at all the other sketches in the book. And it's still one of my all-time favorites in my collection, and the sketch that cemented Todd as one of my all-time favorite artists. I was bitterly disappointed when Young Justice was cancelled, and I've supported his projects, particularly WildGuard, even more fervently since then.


AQUAMAN
by Todd Nauck
22 July 2000
(permission to post given 29 Feb 2004 in person)
WildGuard

To see all the sketches I have permission to post so far, check out my Sketchbook Page. If you have any contact information for any of the other artists I'm trying to contact, please e-mail me. Click for a random Aquaman sketch.

As a reminder: Almost every sketch in my sketchbook was non-commissioned and done on the floor of a con. These are not the best works of the artists. These are only representative of what the artist can do under pressure in a loud, crowded, and often stressed-out environment. Most of them were done as quickly as possible, to prevent huge lines from forming. Don't judge any of these artists negatively by the artwork you see, instead be as impressed as I am by what they accomplished in far-from-ideal conditions.

The Saturday Sketch ™ is brought to you by the letters "A", "Q" and the number "27", and also courtesy the fine artists who pour their lives into producing wonderful comic books, then come to conventions only to get asked by geeky fangirls for a sketch of Aquaman. Support an artist, buy a comic book.

0 comments: