Friday, April 29, 2005

The Walk Update

For the one or two people who haven't figured it out, I'm doing the Seattle 3-Day Walk to fight breast cancer. It'll be happening in July, and as it's a fundraising walk, I need to raise a certain amount of money in order to just participate. I'm not quite halfway there, yet.

The Walk is quite a challenge for me in other ways. I am not what you would call a petite woman, and I want and need to get into better health. When I started training for The Walk, I also discovered some really nasty problems that I didn't know I had involving my leg muscles. Weeks of physical therapy and chiropractic work have gotten me almost to the point where I can walk longer distances like a normal person.

So, with participating in The Walk as my goal, I've not only raised almost $1000 for breast cancer research, I've also gotten healthier and happier myself. I'd like to see this through to the end, though. And to do that, I need a bit more money in donations to the 3-Day.

To use a tactic that PBS stations always use... I need 78 people to give $15... or 39 people to give $30... or 20 people to give $60... It's not so overwhelming that way. I know I've got well over 78 readers, and all but the most broke have $15 to spare for a worthy cause like breast cancer research.

I'm also considering doing some kind of "raffle". Like, say, donate $15 and send me an e-mail and I'll enter you in a drawing for some kind of prize pack of good comic books I pull together. My only problem with that is pulling together a good prize pack with no money to work with. I also wonder if I should let people who donate more than $15 get multiple entries... and I'd definitely let anyone who has already donated participate if they want. I have to think that one through, but if anyone is interested, post in the comments section with helpful suggestions.

Ha. That'll tell me if anyone actually reads these begging posts.

In any case, if you have the money to spare, please donate. It goes to a worthy cause. I also got the deadlines for donations from my 3-Day coach: "Mailed-in donations must be postmarked by June 14th to ensure they are posted to your account before the walk. Online donations should be made by July 7th."

Please Donate