Thursday, August 11, 2005

Flipping Through Previews...

AAAAAUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!Yes, it's that time again... time for "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". I'm going to start with the bulk of the book, and then come back and cover the "big four" at the end. Please remember, I'm listing what looks interesting. My actual purchase list is going to be much smaller. The numbers after each title are usually the page number in Previews Magazine, so you can follow along at home.

Let's start with the covers. I'm surprised at how little I'm looking forward to "Infinite Crisis", but then it's not going to involve Aquaman as closely as I'd like it to, so maybe that's the reason I'm not feeling any thrill. This particular cover, with Wonder Woman holding a sword while Superman and Batman dance in the background, just does nothing for me. The back cover has Conan, and because I'm used to Cary Nord's take on the character, I'm not as impressed with this one as I'd like to be. It's a little underwhelming as a presentation piece.

Moving on, let's hit the Splash Page (8-9). At the risk of sounding really negative today, the splash page doesn't have anything on it that interests me. I even looked at it twice just to make sure. Nope, nothing.

Skipping over the top four, let's hit Wizard (185-192). There's a second volume of "The Best of Basic Training", and I still want the first volume! Moving on, Inquest Gamer has a picture of the new Aquaman HeroClix... and this is actually where I first saw it. I'm still drooling.

Into the Featured Items section (194-197)... there's nothing at all that interests me. Wow. That's pretty unusual.

AAA Pop Comics (199) has the fourth issue of The Golden Plates. I've been lukewarm to this series so far. I guess that's what comes from having your own visualizations of childhood reading.

Flipping forward, AiT/Planet Lar (210) gives us a new book in Sunset City, a story of a retiree who can't just sit and wait to die. Also offered again is 1,000 Steps to World Domination by the same creator, Rob Osborne.

Alias (210-218) has a couple of books Eric and I will grab. Lullaby #2 will make the list and might even get a good rating if the crew ever makes it to Oz. We'll also finish off the mini and get Opposite Forces Volume 2 #4.

Next up would be Oz: The Manga (ad on page 225) from Antarctic Press (223-227). This is one of the more impressive covers of the series so far, and I can hardly wait to see what the interiors will look like. Definitely a cool series.

Arcana Studio (228-229), never a publisher to sit still, has a new mini that appears to be right up our alley: Paradox #1. The only question is whether we will buy it as it comes out or wait for a trade.

Yeah, we'll get Simpsons Classics #6 from Bongo (250).

Before they sent me the first issue of Zombie Tales, there is NO WAY I would have ever considered getting the new Boom Studios (250-252) books Zombie Tales: Death Valley #1 &2. But the first Zombie Tales was pretty good, so this is actually tempting.

Ok... Dorothy Gale: Journey to Oz #2 was cancelled awhile ago, and I didn't think we'd see it again. But here it is, from Classics Illustrated Jr (254). I guess we'll order it again and see if it comes this time.
UPDATE: Shane Kirshenblatt of Freefall Comics, the actual publisher of Dorothy Gale, let me know that the book is late and was cancelled because it went from 36 to 64 pages. And there are still copies of issue #1 available at the Freefall Comics Website to order if you missed the first issue.

Dork Storm Press (276) brings us PS238 #14. Again, I recommend this one to everyone. Forget Sky High, get this!

Felix The Cat: Buy This Comic #1 has a nice title for a comic book trying to get people to buy it. It's from, guess who? Felix Comics Inc (286).

Next item of note is from IDW Publishing (297-305), and that would be the final issue of Angel: The Curse.

Illusive Productions (306) solicits the reprint of Dorothy #1. Yeah, I think we'll get this. We've been strong supporters of this book so far, and I don't see us stopping now.

Next up is the Kid Friendly Amelia Rules #16 from Renaissance Press (322). This is the finale of the "superheroes" storyline.

How is it that there is a Beowulf trade coming out from Speakeasy Comics (325-337) collecting the first six issues of the book, yet only three issues have come out yet? Whatever.

Thanks to Takuhai, I can follow Tokyopop (341-361) easier. That doesn't mean I want to buy any of them... but at least I have a better idea of what they are about.

I wish I could get TwoMorrows Publishing (371) new book on Jim Aparo. The Brave and the Bold: The Art of Jim Aparo looks like it ought to be in my library.

Zenescope (382-385) appears to be a new player on the comic book scene, and they have two intriguing offerings this month. The first is Grimm Fairy Tales #1, which appears to be going back to the source material, which means it's likely to be fairly gruesome. The second is Jundai #1, which mixes the samurai epic with horror. Tempting... both of them.

That gets me past the regular comics. Nothing in most of the sections... though why would anyone pay $10 for a plush Buffy the Vampire Slayer stake?

On page 551, there's a Creature Comforts Complete First Season DVD which apparently takes the format of the original Creature Comforts and extends it to other aspects of life.

And now it's time to head back to the beginning of the book and hit the big four.

Dark Horse (17-52): I'm not sure I'll be getting this Conan mini, although I'll continue to get the regular book. Dark Horse is pushing their luck with a new Conan mini every other month. I'll definitely get Usagi Yojimbo #88. I might get the Goon 25 Cent Comic, just because it's, well, only a quarter.

Image Comics (129-174): Definitely getting Age of Bronze #21. I only wish poor Eric Shanower could draw/write this faster and make a great living off it. Noble Causes #15 makes the list. I have to get my favorite superhero soap opera. We'll also get Stardust Kid #3. But that's it for Image this month.

Marvel Comics (176): I don't know if we'll be getting Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1, even if it is by Peter David. I don't particularly want to pick up another Marvel book, and I certainly don't want one that's tangled up in a crossover from the first issue. Of course, this makes it a little difficult for Amazing Spider-Man #525, as it's part 3 of the crossover. Maybe we'll skip it this month, and the next two, instead. I don't know. That leaves the next book I'm interested in being Powers #15. That might just be the only thing we get from Marvel this month.

And finally we reach DC Comics, the place where my comic book shopping begins and ends.

Batman (57-65): Still nothing of interest to me. I may end up buying Detective Comics #812 for my friend (which means I'll get to read it) but I wouldn't buy it for myself.

Superman (66-70): Again, nothing for me. I may get Action Comics #832, Superman #222, and possibly even Shazam/Superman: First Thunder #2 for my friend, but nothing for me. If I get the rest, I'll review them.

DC Universe (71-86): Oh, I suppose I'll get
Infinite Crisis #1 and the rest of the mini-series. I hope it doesn't suck too bad. I'll be getting Aquaman #35, of course, and Birds of Prey #87. The Flash #227 might be a pick-up if my friend still wants it by the time it comes out. Other definites include Green Lantern #6, Green Lantern Corps: Recharge #2, Green Arrow #55, JLA #120, JLA #121, JLA: Classified #13, JSA #78, JSA: Classified #4, Justice #2, Outsiders #29, Legion of Super-Heroes #11, Solo #7, Seven Soldiers: Klarion The Witchboy #4, Seven Soliders: Zatanna #4, and Villains United #6. While I kinda want to dump Rann/Thanagar War #6, I'll probably get it since I ordered the rest of the series. I'm a completist, curse me.

Johnny DC/DC Library (87-98): Just Justice League Unlimited #14. That's all.

Wildstorm (99-110): While part of me is mildly interested in Captain Atom: Armageddon #1, I don't think I'm likely to get it.

Vertigo (111-121): Nothing in here for me.

DC Direct (122-128): Cool Green Lantern action figure, but nothing here I can afford to get.

And there it is... all of Previews. I'm finally all the way through. Huzzah. So that's it for this month's "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". Comments? Questions? Did I miss any really cool books that you know about and would like to point out? (Yes, that is an open invitation for creators to promote their own books in my blog comments). Do you disagree with something I wrote, and want to correct me? There's the comments, right below. Post something. And, yes, I accept review copies. I'm willing to give almost anything a try.

Note: I've posted a mostly Oz-focused version of this at The Wonderful Blog of Oz.

Previous Flipping Through Previews:

0 comments: