Saturday, October 22, 2005

Three Years...

Tuesday, October 22, 2002:

Hi there.

Way back when, when I first started my first webpage, I tried to do this. This thing that's now called "blog"ing. But I didn't really get what I wanted to do, so every entry was this huge essay that made no sense...

And with those words, I started this weblog three years ago. Later that night I posted the first image on my new blog:

The next day I posted my first Rapid Reviews, which featured Smallville The Comic, Wonder Woman #185, JLA #74, and Green Arrow Secret Files #1.

My first Blogiversary was a bittersweet affair, and I hope the circumstances surrounding it never happen to us again (or, for that matter, anyone else (if you are confused, read the first paragraph of the entry underneath)).

My second Blogiversary was another look back, but it's pretty clear I was depressed that day. *sigh*

I don't think my streak of one entry per day is alive anymore. I think maybe I broke it during the 3-Day. Doesn't matter, does it? I did at least a blog a day for over two years.

Looking back, did I accomplish the goal I set for this blog? I wanted to blog to force myself to write something daily. It was (and is) primarily a writing exercise. Since I really didn't expect to gain an audience beyond my husband, my little sister, and my mom, it was never about who would read it (and I figured my mom and sister would stop reading eventually because the comic book stuff bores them).

I think, overall, I accomplished the main goal. It's kept me writing and kept me thinking about writing, which was a skill I'd lost when I left school. I sometimes find the comments of other bloggers to be really funny, when they talk about situations they are in and how they think "I could blog this"... that's how writers think all the time, that's how I used to think when I had a demanding teacher whose daily writing assignments forced me to come up with usable material all the time. If this blogging trend is doing anything, it's forcing people to think like writers. That's a good thing, in my book.

Eeeuch. I'm blogging about blogging. Best to stop right now... more tomorrow. I suspect I'll be pretty busy most of today.

0 comments: