Monday, November 21, 2005

Rapid Reviews - 9 November 2005 - Part II

Aquaman #36: "The Failure of Success": I suppose the title could refer to Koryak's mistake. I found it a little strange that Arthur didn't criticize Koryak a bit more... he did kill someone, after all. But then, it's very much in Koryak's nature, and it would be understandable for Koryak to believe that an OMAC was a robot. Not that he'd care, mind you. But Aquaman would. Manta does as expected, but I really like the touch of him scaring the scientists. Kirk and Clarke's Vulko looks like a Munchkin. Anyway, nice cliffhanger. I'm not totally satisfied with this book, but Arcudi gets better with every issue. 3 starfish



Infinite Crisis #2: "The Survivors": This is not a book you can summarize quickly. And honestly, I don't think I'd want to try, because it would mean recapping the entire DCU since the Crisis. Or should we call it the first Crisis now? The implications of Superman's speech at the end of the book are ... chilling and thrilling. And, you know what I, as an Aquaman fan, am thinking. Should Superman succeed, will there even be an Aquaman? What is the Earth-2 Aquaman? Yellow gloves? More myth than man? He's one of the few characters that made the jump from Gold to Silver without changing... but he's changed a lot since then. Will Atlantis be erased? The solicits for future issues suggest that, yes, it will. So what then? Have Aquaman wear yellow gloves and continue on? Something more dramatic? Regardless of anything else in this issue, Superman's speech puts my brain into overdrive. I don't know what's coming next, and that's both exciting and insanity-inducing. And, you know, if DC actually manages to pull this off, to make all their books change... IF they manage it, then this might be the first crossover ever I'll call "worth it." 3 starfish

0 comments: