Friday, February 10, 2006

Flipping Through Previews...

AAAAAUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!Yes, it's that time again... time for "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". I'm going to start with the bulk of the book, and then come back and cover the "big four" at the end. Please remember, I'm listing what looks interesting. My actual purchase list is going to be much smaller. The numbers after each title are usually the page number in Previews Magazine, so you can follow along at home.

Let's start with the covers. Wolverine Cover, not horrid, but just more typical Wolvie. Back cover, Checkmate, completely forgettable. Overall, not good covers.

Moving on, let's hit the Splash Page (8-9). The story about "The 26" was touching. It almost makes me want to buy the book. The Tron story looks... depressing. Anytime my childhood makes the nostalgia bins I feel older and older. Nothing else really catches my eye.

It's that time again! It's Free Comic Book Day time! May 6th 2006 is the day in question, and this Previews lists the books. Can DC get any more boring with their FCBD choices? A reprint of a recent book? Gimme a break, DC! Once again, I'll be paying my store for my FCBD comics and hopefully will get all of them.

Skipping over the big four, let's hit the regular comics section. Starting with the Featured Items (200-203), the cover of Superior Showcase #1 attracted my eye, but only because I thought it might be a really stylized Aquaman. Uh, no. But Adventures In Oz looks REALLY good. I think my husband Eric might have all of the stories, but he's gonna want this anyway, and I think he should get it.

Antarctic Press (215-218) has Alice In Wonderland #3, which we'll be getting for sure.

We'll also be getting Mouse Guard #2 from Archaia Studios Press (217-218). I would have preferred to read the first issue before ordering the second, but the on-line previews were good enough that getting this is a no-brainer.

Banana Tale Press (236) has Banana Tails: Tales & Activities One-Shot for the kid in your life.

Skipping merrily ahead... Dork Storm Press (274) presents us with Nodwick #32. Definitely looking forward to it.

Ok. Moving on... Evil Twin Comics (278) has yet another issue of Action Philosophers. This series has been consistently fun and even a bit educational, so go grab it. Each issue stands alone, so don't worry about having to read the rest. You'll want to, but don't worry about it yet.

Flipping some more, passing some stuff that I don't feel like commenting on... Ah! Here's IDW Publishing (287-293). I would like to get the Angel Spotlight books, but I won't be swinging for them. Nor will I be getting any of the other books at this point, sadly. It's just too much at $4 a pop to get four different titles. I will be getting Fallen Angel #5 and we'll be getting Adventures in Oz. Hopefully we'll get the book in time to take it down to the Oz convention this summer and get it signed.

Illusive Productions (294) is soliciting Dorothy #7, speaking of Oz. Definitely a must-get book.

This month, Moonstone Books (296-299) is putting out Buckaroo Banzai, and a small part of me really wants to check this one out. Very tempting.

Narwain Publishing (298-302) has an intriguing looking book called Albert that appears to be about Albert Einstein, sort of. Also from Narwain is a book called Bluff about the dog of a family who wins the lottery. Hmmm. Interesting ideas, but are the books any good?

Once again, Brian Wood and Oni Press (306-307) will be getting my money when I buy Local #5. Has anyone been getting Polly & The Pirates from Oni, and is it as good as it looks?

Superverse Productions (320-321) has a book called Zoom Suit which is described as "The Greatest American Hero meets Cinderella" Hmmm. I went to their website, but couldn't find any simple previews, just a bunch of animated stuff, so I don't know if the artwork is any good.

And that gets me through the main comic book section. Huzzah. Nothing at all in the back of the book, so zip... back to the front section and the four big companies.

Dark Horse (21-56). Lots of Star Wars books to start out. I've been reading Empire because a friend has been picking it up. I think Rebellion is the heir to that book. Well, I'll be getting Conan, and probably Conan: Book of Thoth as well. I might as well face it, I'm addicted. And, of course, I'll be getting Usagi Yojimbo also. If I had to cut down to two monthly books, Usagi would probably be one that I'd still get.

Image Comics (133-175). Noble Causes makes the list. And another issue of Age of Bronze! Yes! And I guess we'll be getting Truth, Justin and the American Way as well, although the art still doesn't appeal to me at all.

Marvel Comics (177). We might get Squadron Supreme #2. I think we ordered the first one. And we'll get Powers as usual.

And finally, to the big one. The one we get the most from consistently. DC Comics.

Batman (61-70): Still no interest in any of them, despite the One Year Later.

Superman (71-77): Again, no interest in any of the books.

DC Universe (78-101): Ah, here we go. Starting with Infinite Crisis #7, which we'll get... yeah. We might get Villains United: Infinite Crisis Special, but we aren't sure.

Aquaman #41. Gee. I don't know.

Other books we'll get: Birds of Prey #93, Green Lantern #11, Ion #1, Amazing Adventures of the JLA, Justice #5, JLA: Classified #20, JLA: Classified #21, JSA #84, JSA Classified #11, and Solo #10.

Johnny DC/DC Library/CMX (102-108): Just Justice League Unlimited #20. Although I might end up getting Teen Titans Go! #30 because Aqualad makes an appearance.

Wildstorm (109-117): Nothing this month.

Vertigo (118-125): Nothing this month.

DC Direct (126-132): Ah. Whew. Nothing this month. Although there's an Aquaman in those pages, it's a previously released figure.

And there it is... all of Previews. I'm finally all the way through. Huzzah. So that's it for this month's "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". Comments? Questions? Did I miss any really cool books that you know about and would like to point out? Do you disagree with something I wrote, and want to correct me? There's the comments, right below. Post something. And, yes, I accept review copies. I'm willing to give almost anything a try.

Note: I've posted a mostly Oz-focused version of this at The Wonderful Blog of Oz.

Previous Flipping Through Previews:

0 comments: