Thursday, December 08, 2005

Flipping Through Previews...

AAAAAUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!
Yes, it's that time again... time for "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". I'm going to start with the bulk of the book, and then come back and cover the "big four" at the end. Please remember, I'm listing what looks interesting. My actual purchase list is going to be much smaller. The numbers after each title are usually the page number in Previews Magazine, so you can follow along at home.

Let's start with the covers. The Beast Wars cover does absolutely nothing for me. It runs page my eyes like an advert. The Warlord cover, on the other hand, almost makes me curious enough to take a look. I'll certainly take a second look, even though I'm unlikely to get the book.

cover imageMoving on, let's hit the Splash Page (8-9).I originally looked at the page and thought there was nothing, but then I noticed the Heroclix. Yeah, I'm interested. But mostly to see if there's an Aquaman one. Somehow I really doubt it.

Because this is the Previews for books shipping in February, there's a Valentine's Day suggestion section on pages 12-13. Guys, trust me. Get TRUE STORY, SWEAR TO GOD for your girl. Give it to her with a box of chocolates and a flower (rose is fine, but I'm partial to carnations myself). Only a woman with a heart of stone would fail to enjoy True Story, Swear To God: Chances Are...

cover imageOk, moving on past the "Premier Comics" section, will flop down in the Wizard section (190-196). Nothing at all jumps out at me, so on to the "Featured Items" (198-201). Rod Espinosa is doing an Alice in Wonderland book. Tempting. Mouse Guard also looks intriguing. I'm not sure if it'll make the list, but it does look good. Nothing else jumps out at me. So into the main comics section.

I can't pass up mentioning Following Cerebus #7 (203), which has a Babylon 5 cover featuring J Michael Straczynski himself. I don't intend to get the book, but the cover is very nice.

Alias (206-212) has a couple books to mention. The first is Hammer Kid which looks like yet another variation on the Norse myths. Definitely something that draws me in. The next would be Tempest. I'm not sure I'll get it, but any book that includes the artists that this one does and intends to donate proceeds to disaster relief efforts is worth mentioning. Last up is Lullaby #5 which actually mentions OZ!!!

cover imageAntarctic Press (216-219) has been climbing up my list of favorite publishers with their recent books. I keep wishing I had to the nerve to try Gold Digger, which I keep hearing great things about... anyway, this month, they've got Alice in Wonderland #1 by Rod Espinosa, who is one of my favorites. Then, as if that weren't enough, Oz: The Manga - Epilogue is also coming out. I suspect we'll be getting both.

Can't forget to include Arcana Studio (222) and Paradox #3. I enjoyed the first issue, and I'm looking forward to the rest.

cover imageArchaia Studios Press (220-223) is a relative newcomer to my list, but Mouse Guard #1 has definitely caught my eye. There is a two-page spread devoted to it on pages 220-221, and there's a preview of the first few pages on the website. We'll have to see how the list shakes out, to see if we can afford it.

Ok, stop everything and write this one down, ok? You are going to order from Clib's Boy Comics (241), True Story, Swear to God #16. Tom takes his mini-comic to WonderCon. This is on the MUST BUY list.

Josh Blaylock is trying to teach people How to Self-Publish Comics... Not Just Create Them through Devil's Due Publishing (249-259). I'm not sure how good this will be, but I'm sure there's going to be a lot of interest in this.

cover imageDork Storm Press (264) is up next, with PS238 #15. Oh yeah, looking forward to this one.

Exhibit A Press (268) thrills and chills with another installment of Supernatural Law. If you aren't reading the webcomic, you are missing out on a fun little tale.

I'll be getting Thieves & Kings #48 from I Box Publishing (277).

cover imageIDW Publishing (283-289) has three books that grab me. Angel: Old Friends #4 makes the list unless the first issue (which I got today) is utter crap. Spike vs Dracula #1 might make the list as well, but I'm less sure of that. Fallen Angel #3 will also get on the list, as we've already ordered the first two. Tempting, but unlikely to get on the list unless our finances suddenly get really good, is Supermarket #1, by Brian Wood.

Markosia (292) seems to be taking over the titles of AP Comics, although I'm not sure. In any case, Midnight Kiss #4 talks about "the civil war in Oz" and they aren't talking about Australia, so we'll be getting it.

cover imageLocal hits Montana, from Oni Press (304-307).

SAF Comics (310) has an interesting-looking book called Two White Wizards. Considering the price and our financial state, we won't be able to get it, but maybe one of my readers will. There is a little bit of preview art at the website, under the News link.

And that concludes the regular comic book section... whew... and off into the back of the book I go.

t-shirtThere's an Aquaman t-shirt on page 406, which I will be getting. I won't be getting the Namor statues on pages 433 and 434, although I think they look quite nice.

New Heroclix expansion set on page 480 from WizKids Games. I really want a Red Tornado Heroclix. Not that robot dude, the original Ma Hunkel as a Heroclix (and not as a token, either!).

Off in the videos, the second Hikaru No Go DVD has been solicited (486), which means I have something else to put on my wishlist.

And that gets us through the comics and extras and sends us back to the front of the book to tackle the big four, and thus the bulk of our comic book order...

Dark Horse (17-52) and Hellboy. I'm really tempted by the new Hellboy book. But I think I'll probably pass on it. I'll get Conan #25. I'm enjoying the book entirely too much. We'll also get Usagi Yojimbo #91. I'm also tempted by the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic/Rebellion 25-Cent Flip Book, but that's mostly because of the price.

Image Comics (129-175) has nothing I want. Yeah, I was surprised too.

Marvel Comics (178) also has nothing I want. I'm less surprised by this.

And so we reach DC Comics.

Batman (57-64): Nothing leaps out at me.

Superman (65-68): Oh joy, the three main titles are linked. Ug.

cover imageDC Universe (69-90): Well, I know we'll get Infinite Crisis #5, but I'm not sure about Infinite Crisis Secret Files 2005. We'll just have to see. I'm thinking we'll definitely get Aquaman #39, because if nothing else, it's the final issue of the current run in all but name. I'm also not sure about Birds of Prey #91 because it appears that there's a fill-in writer. But we'll get Green Lantern #9...

Other books we'll get: JLA #125, JLA Classified #17, JSA #82, JSA Classified #8, JSA Classified #9, Justice #4, Legion of Super-Heroes #15, and Solo #9.

Johnny DC/DC Library/CMX (91-101): Justice League Unlimited #18 has Aquaman on the cover. I doubt he'll be inside, because the story is about... SPACE CABBY! Need I say anything else? Really?

Wildstorm (102-112): Nothing, really.

Vertigo (113-119): Nothing here, either.

DC Direct (120-128): If they make a New Frontier Aquaman, I'll have to get it. But otherwise, nothing here.

And there it is... all of Previews. I'm finally all the way through. Huzzah. So that's it for this month's "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". Comments? Questions? Did I miss any really cool books that you know about and would like to point out? Do you disagree with something I wrote, and want to correct me? There's the comments, right below. Post something. And, yes, I accept review copies. I'm willing to give almost anything a try.

Note: I've posted a mostly Oz-focused version of this at The Wonderful Blog of Oz.

Previous Flipping Through Previews:

0 comments: