Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Hugo Review Status Update - Final?

This is almost my final ballot.

I did not finish the "Best Series" category, and I realized a couple of days ago that I wasn't going to read enough to feel comfortable rating most of the works in the category. I don't like this result, but I'll be putting Vorkosigan first and leaving the rest of the ballot blank, and hoping that I can finish reading these series before they all next become eligible (I think it's three years?).

My ballot order changes every time I log in, and I plan to log in once a day until the final day of voting. So what is below is unlikely to be my final absolute complete ballot. As I've noted before, I won't be posting my final ballot - I'm just not going to bother. This is close enough for you to get an idea of how I'm voting.

While reading and voting was, at times, almost stressful, it did have the fortunate effect of knocking me out of a very long and painful depressive episode and getting me to read regularly again. I just hope this lasts. I've still got a LOT of comic books to read to catch up, and let's not even talk about how far behind I am on Fortean Times (I crave my weirdness and haven't read it in so long!).

After the fold, my current rankings with links to my reviews. A dash means I'm leaving it off my ballot. The items I didn't even consider due to being promoted by a slate are not on the ballot at all.



Best Novel

1) A Closed and Common Orbit, by Becky Chambers
2) The Obelisk Gate, by N. K. Jemisin
3) All the Birds in the Sky, by Charlie Jane Anders
4) Ninefox Gambit, by Yoon Ha Lee
5) Too Like the Lightning, by Ada Palmer
-) Death's End, by Cixin Liu, translated by Ken Liu

Best Novella

1) Penric and the Shaman, by Lois McMaster Bujold
2) The Ballad of Black Tom, by Victor LaValle
3) The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe, by Kij Johnson
4) Every Heart a Doorway, by Seanan McGuire
5) A Taste of Honey, by Kai Ashante Wilson
6) This Census-Taker, by China Miéville

Best Novelette

1) "The Tomato Thief", by Ursula Vernon
2) "Touring with the Alien", by Carolyn Ives Gilman
3) "The Art of Space Travel", by Nina Allan
4) "The Jewel and Her Lapidary", by Fran Wilde
5) "You'll Surely Drown Here If You Stay", by Alyssa Wong
6) No Award

Best Short Story

1) "That Game We Played During the War", by Carrie Vaughn
2) "Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies", by Brooke Bolander
3) "The City Born Great", by N. K. Jemisin
4) "Seasons of Glass and Iron", by Amal El-Mohtar
5) "A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers", by Alyssa Wong
6) No Award

Best Related Work

1) The View From the Cheap Seats, by Neil Gaiman
2) Words Are My Matter: Writings About Life and Books, 2000-2016, by Ursula K. Le Guin
3) The Princess Diarist, by Carrie Fisher
4) The Geek Feminist Revolution, by Kameron Hurley
5) The Women of Harry Potter posts, by Sarah Gailey
6) Traveler of Worlds: Conversations with Robert Silverberg, by Robert Silverberg and Alvaro Zinos-Amaro

Best Graphic Story

1) Ms. Marvel, Volume 5: Super Famous
2) Saga, Volume 6
3) Paper Girls, Volume 1
4) Monstress, Volume 1: Awakening
5) Black Panther, Volume 1: A Nation Under Our Feet
-) The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man

Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form)

1) Ghostbusters
2) Stranger Things, Season One
3) Hidden Figures
4) Arrival
5) Rogue One
6) Deadpool

Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form)

1) Black Mirror: "San Junipero"
2) Splendor & Misery [album], by Clipping
3) Game of Thrones: "Battle of the Bastards"
4) Doctor Who: "The Return of Doctor Mysterio"
5) Game of Thrones: "The Door"
6) The Expanse: "Leviathan Wakes"

Best Editor – Short Form

1) Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas
2) Neil Clarke
3) Sheila Williams
4) Jonathan Strahan
5) John Joseph Adams
6) Ellen Datlow

Best Editor – Long Form

1) Sheila E. Gilbert
2) Liz Gorinsky
3) Navah Wolfe
4) Devi Pillai
5) Miriam Weinberg
6) No Award

Best Professional Artist

1) Galen Dara
2) Julie Dillon
3) John Picacio
4) Chris McGrath
5) Sana Takeda
6) Victo Ngai

Best Semiprozine

1) The Book Smugglers
2) Uncanny Magazine
3) Strange Horizons
4) Beneath Ceaseless Skies
5) GigaNotoSaurus
6) No Award

Best Fanzine

1) Lady Business
2) Rocket Stack Rank
3) nerds of a feather, flock together
4) Journey Planet
5) SF Bluestocking
6) No Award

Best Fancast

1) Tea and Jeopardy
2) Fangirl Happy Hour
3) Galactic Suburbia
4) The Coode Street Podcast
5) Ditch Diggers
6) No Award

Best Fan Writer

1) Foz Meadows
2) Mike Glyer
3) Natalie Luhrs
4) Abigail Nussbaum
5) Chuck Tingle
6) No Award

Best Fan Artist

1) Vesa Lehtimäki
2) Spring Schoenhuth
3) Steve Stiles
4) Likhain (M. Sereno)
5) Elizabeth Leggett
6) Ninni Aalto

Best Series I have started all the finalists, but was unable to read enough to be comfortable judging them.

1) The Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold
-) The Craft Sequence, by Max Gladstone
-) The Expanse, by James S.A. Corey
-) The October Daye Books, by Seanan McGuire
-) The Peter Grant / Rivers of London series, by Ben Aaronovitch
-) The Temeraire series, by Naomi Novik

John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer

1) Sarah Gailey
2) Kelly Robson
3) Laurie Penny
4) Malka Older
5) Ada Palmer
6) No Award

0 comments: