Tuesday, April 29, 2003

More on Aquaman


I got a nice note from Rick Veitch, apologizing that I was bushwhacked with the news of him leaving Aquaman. Let me just put in a few exclamation points here: !!!! Like he owes me anything! It was very sweet of him to write. His reasons for leaving are mostly due to the whole time thing. He'd already stopped writing the Comicon Splash, so it's not a big surprise that something else would have to go. I'm just a wee bit sad that it was Aquaman.

Rick also thanked me for my research efforts for him on Aquaman. I did very little, but was able to give him details he didn't have on a couple of items of interest. In return, Rick wrote that fantastic Secret Files story, which "reformed" my favorite Aqua-character after Aquaman himself. I'd say we're even.

Of course, now that I've flatly denied any wish to write Aquaman, I keep coming up with story ideas. 99.99% of them wouldn't get past any good editor. I can just imagine the exchange:

Me: I want to do a story that reintroduces Mupo.

Editor: Who?

Me: Mupo! He was a supporting character during Steve Skeates run on the book, helped overthrow Karshon, and was a potential rival with Aqualad for Tula's love...

Editor: Excuse me a moment while I go get the "fangirl-be-gone" spray.

Editor returns, sprays.

Editor: Now, what were we talking about?

Me: I want to do an Aquaman story in which he battles Black Manta again.

Editor: Much better.

Nah. I think I'll stick with non-fic. I don't think any editor would have the patience to deal with me. It somewhat reminds me of the comic-guy in The Simpsons: "But Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds...[sees the missiles about to destroy Springfield]... Ohh, I've wasted my life."

0 comments: